Loreta is a powerful and beautiful Marian pilgrimage place consisting of the Italian Santa Casa, the Baroque church of the Nativity of Our Lord (from architect Kilian Ignac Dienzenhofer) and a clock tower.
The Loreta was commissioned by Baroness Beligna Katherina von Lobkowicz in 1626. Afterward, it was maintained by the Capuchins, an order connected with the St Francis of Assisi’s Brotherhood. This historical building was created to promote the legend of Santa Casa, a copy of the house believed to be the Virgin Mary’s. This Santa Casa copy, complete with original fresco pieces and the statue of Our Lady of Loreta, sits in a lovely courtyard surrounded by chapel-lined arcades.
Not to be missed is the ‘Prague Sun’ and its Loreta Treasure – a collection of sacral objects that contain the Diamond Monstrance adorned with 6,222 diamonds.